Thursday, July 28, 2011

Bamboo in cold climates


About 4 years ago when I was in house hunting mode, I came across architect Chaewon Kim that built these two funky homes in Cambridge, MA (pictured above). The houses were amazing, but we weren't to keen on the location. The one thing that amazed me even more was the bamboo plants growing against one of the homes (2:21). I remember the weather being really cold and they they were green and ALIVE! Ever since then I've wanted some bamboo of my own.


Recently on a wim I searched for a bamboo nursery and found a place called Greentop in Rockport, MA. They specialize is all kinds of bamboo plants, planter systems and design & consultation. All I can say is wow, I felt like I was in Disney World! It's by appointment only so please call before you go.

It was literally a maze. Greenhouse after greenhouse after greenhouse filled with plants. They had small running bamboo, enormously tall bamboo, anything you could imagine! All of their plants can handle New England weather apart from a few indoor plants. I bought a 10' tall indoor shade tolerant plant called Bambusa multiplex varigata and I also got a smaller lime green bamboo plant called Pleioblastus viridi-striatus, which I plan on growing outside. After seeing all that they had to offer, I would really like to get some larger outdoor plants, but I still need to come up with a plan. In warmer climates bamboo will grow fast but in a colder climate bamboo grows slower, so that is also something to think about when buying.

If you live nearby you should check this place out.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Very interesting article, Jenn. Lots of bamboo good luck here! :)