Thursday, September 5, 2013

Kitchen renovation: lighting




About tweleve years ago the previous owners ripped out the original 1951 white metal cabinets and replaced them with something more, traditional... (As told by a neighbor, i think they were even more mad than me.)

We have lived here with this kitchen for a painful 5 years and I'm so happy to see it all go. This was always the messiest room in the house, I just hate organizing a space that doesn't make me happy. I've wanted a new kitchen since I fell in love with my home, but I always held off and saved up so I could do exactly what I wanted, well that time has finally come!

The old kitchen cabinets have been removed which means I've been eating a lot of take out. Installation of the new ones is still about two weeks away but there needs to be some changes behind the scenes. We have an electrician installing some new electrical lines and outlets since we're going to be switching appliances around. Also to my surprise the electrician said that he could put in recessed lighting, that was really good news to hear!  Thought I was going to have to stick in a large decorative light in the middle. The minimalist in me was happy to hear this.

We did have to deal with a few bumps in the road, like working around concrete walls, but things seem to be on track. Filling up holes with cement left open for years by a previous electrician and repairing the hole in the ceiling are what we are working on now.




1 comment:

Jenn Ski said...

sounds exactly what happened to my house. How did your kitchen come out? Would love to see pix :)