Saturday, March 28, 2009

Growing Moss

Ever since I was little I've loved moss. The colors and textures always fascinated me and where ever I went I seemed to be picking some up and brining it home. Now that I live in a heavily wooded area it's the perfect place to grow my own moss!

Flickr
Flickr

How it grows

Mosses grow from spores, when the spore finds a surface it develops a threadlike branch. This branch pushes into a surface and then the moss develops tiny flat leaves. Thousands of these plants grow together to make a single patch of moss.

Propagating Moss

Take a clump of healthy moss and crumble it into your blender.
Add 2 cups of buttermilk and 2 cups of water
Blend at the lowest speed until it is completely mixed and the consistency of a thin milk shake. (add water if necessary)
Paint the mixture onto rocks, pots or statuary, or simply pour it on the ground wherever you'd like your moss to grow!

For more tips visit the garden helper.

6 comments:

drollgirl said...

moss rules!

MoonDoggie said...

Moss looks great. Have you seen that moss graffiti?
They paint words/pictures with the mixture and let the moss do its thing - looks really effective.

s a n s k u :) said...

Me lovey moss too. I actually needed this "recipe" as I don't have enough moss in between the stones in our back yard. So thanks. :)

Libby said...

Yes, thanks for the recipe. Just moved to the woods, and would like to "help it along" :)

Eric McGrew said...

I just found out that my wife is Crazy about moss as well. It's very probable that since she has read your post I will start seeing moss pop up in my house for no reason at all. Thank you!

sally said...

You've inspired me. We have a very shady area that we are trying to figure out what we'll do with it once the kids are all grown up - of course the kids are between the age of 3 and unborn but still, we thought moss would be a really cool idea.