Monday, September 6, 2010

Bed Progression



The bed is looking amazing! Still need to pop in the top boards (see plan) and find a new king-size mattress.

Materials: 2 sheets of walnut veneer plywood, several 2x12's from the home center, and walnut veneer edge banding to hide the plywood edges. My husband cut his own shellac and added a reddish brown dye to it to better approximate the look of aged walnut furniture. After three coats of the tinted shellac, he put on two coats of General Finishes Arm-R-Seal wipe-on varnish - one gloss coat and one satin coat.

Total Cost: $490

The next project is going to be a set of matching floating nightstands with spalted maple drawer fronts to add some texture!

7 comments:

Jacqueline said...

God I love it!! Your hubby is great :)

Love and Turtledoves,
Jaco

Sarah Pecorino said...

Nice job Hubby! The finish looks fantastic. I can't wait to see it finished with the mattress and bedding!

Bonhomie said...

Absolutely FABULOUS!!

RSA Course said...

Wow I wish all my DIY projects turned out as good, well done!

CK said...

Super hot! was that shellac sprayed or brushed on? I'm redoing someone's old stereo system in a tinted shellac, but ain't sure of the best way to put it on... this looks super awesome!

Jenn Ski said...

My husband bought a sprayer

Barbara said...

Can I borrow your husband? That bed is awesome!